How to install Java in Mozilla under Debian?

Hello. I have Debian unstable - reasonably current - and therefore Mozilla
M18-3. I've downloaded Sun's Java 2 SDK 1.3.0_01, which includes the Java
Plugin for Netscape 6/Mozilla. How do I install this plugin to work best with
the Debian Mozilla setup, which of course is shoehorned into the Debian pattern
(very admirably, might I add)? All my attempts have resulted in the Java Plugin
showing up in Mozilla's about:plugins listing but me still being prompted to
install the plugin when I visit the JRE's ControlPanel.html, which uses the
plugin.

Any and all help is appreciated.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@kaplowitz.org