Re: How to install Java in Mozilla under Debian?

On Saturday 03 February 2001 19:52, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Hello. I have Debian unstable - reasonably current - and therefore Mozilla
> M18-3. I've downloaded Sun's Java 2 SDK 1.3.0_01, which includes the Java
> Plugin for Netscape 6/Mozilla. How do I install this plugin to work best
> with the Debian Mozilla setup, which of course is shoehorned into the
> Debian pattern (very admirably, might I add)? All my attempts have resulted
> in the Java Plugin showing up in Mozilla's about:plugins listing but me
> still being prompted to install the plugin when I visit the JRE's
> ControlPanel.html, which uses the plugin.
>
> Any and all help is appreciated.
>
> - Jimmy Kaplowitz
> jimmy@kaplowitz.org

I'm using the nightly builds of Mozilla ... so my mozilla directory is
/usr/local/mozilla. That out of the way, the easiest way to get java on your
machine, IMO is to add a sources.list line ... I use

deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian
woody non-free

After running an update, you can do an apt-get install j2sdk1.3 ... when it
gets done downloading you'll have a
/usr/lib/j2re1.3/plugin/i386/javaplugin.so file. What I do is make a symlink
to this file ... i.e. ln -si /usr/lib/j2re1.3/plugin/i386/javaplugin.so
/usr/local/mozilla/plugins/

When Mozilla fires up, it now has Java support. Most java things work fine
over here.

Sean

--
This is a NO-FRILLS flight -- hold th' CANADIAN BACON!!