Re: re CD-RW

john gennard wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2001, mike polniak wrote:
> > john gennard wrote:
> > > I've studied recent postings, the relative HOWTO and the Kenel help
> > > text documentation and now feel that I understand what I need to do.
> > > Unfortunately, I am faced with a problem to which I can find no
> > > specific reference.
> > >
> > > I shall recompile the Kernel (have the tarballs for both 2.2.18 and
> > > 2.4.0 -- shall use the former initially).
> > >
> > > On this machine (the only one above 300 MHz), I always boot from
> > > floppies which I make (using 'make bzdisk') when compiling
> > > kernels. Booting is very fast after the bios boot - no pause or
> > > invitation to add parameters. I'll need to give 'hdd=ide-scsi' after
> > > bios boot and can't find how to pause the automatic 'loading .....'.
> > > When everything is set up satisfactorily, I would like to add the
> > > parameter to the boot floppy - again I've no idea how. I'm proposing
> > > to configure the CD-RW in Potato 2.2r0 and the machine is a PC
> > > stand-alone with an AMD 500MHz and no real scsi devices.
> > >
> > > Can someone explain how I can solve my immediate problems. I feel
> > > sure I understand the correct kernel configuration requirements -
> > > there will be no modules to load.  Grateful for help. John.
> >
> > 	Well if you do not set CONFIG_IDECD , you will not have to do
> > the append='hdd=ide-scsi'. This is the preferred way, and your CDRW will
> > work as /dev/scd0 assuming you have set the following:
> >
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI     #scsi emulation
> > CONFIG_SCSI                #scsi support
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR          #scsi cdrom
> > CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG          #scsi generic
> >
> 	But, my hdc is an ordinary IDE CD-ROM drive; without setting
> CONFIG_IDECD how will I be able to access it?
	OK you can do it another way if your willing to load modules(you
originaly said "configure CD-RW...-there will be no modules to load").

	I set CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m along with the four scsi modules listed
above. This way i can access my CDROM/CD-RW as either ide(hdc) or scsi(scd0)
drive depending upon which modules i load. As long as you config IDECD as a
module you will not have to append="hdc=ide-scsi" to use scsi-emulation.

	You need scsi-emulation to record, so you must load the scsi modules and
unload the ide module(if its loaded).But if you only want to use a CD-RW for
reading a cd then you can use either the ide(hdc) module or scsi(scd0)

	Use 'modprobe' to load modules and 'rmmod' to unload. Then 'lsmod' to list
the current modules loaded.If you only have a CDROM and want to configure
for CD-RW you can just use ide-cd and when you get a CD-RW you will not have
to re-configure to start recording.