Re: Installing / applying Mozilla themes?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 02:33:44PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > All this is installed under my
> > normal user home directory.
>
> What user are you running Mozilla as?  root?  If not, did you change
> permissions on /usr/lib/mozilla/chrome?

My normal user login as stated previously and I simply use Midnight
Commander to open the tar.gz file and then copy the toplevel package
directory to ~.  Mozilla then lives under ~/package.  I wouldn't dream
of running it as root...Also this method would need to be done for each
user on a multi-user machine, which, mine is not.

> In my case, I did the following:
>
>   - I added a group 'mozchrome' to the system.
>   - I did a recursive modification to groups and privs to /usr/lib/mozilla
>     changing the group to 'mozchrome' and adding group write privs.
>   - I added my standard userid to the 'mozchrome' group.
>
> This apparently allows me to add new chromes under Mozilla.  It is
> bassfuckingackwards as hell.

Later in the thread is the commentary that the Mozilla developers aren't
really concerned about this behavior on non-Win platforms.  Well, if
they succeed in releasing Moz under the GPL, I say fork 'em!  Debian
should fork the code and "do it right(TM)."  If they don't want to
incorporate the changes into the main Mozilla tree, then fork 'em!  I
suspect it is AOL that is driving this latest insanity.  Let's hope they
dual license under the GPL before AOL gets wise and locks things down
even tighter.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good