Installing / applying Mozilla themes?

Debian/Potato, x86, Mozilla M18.

I'm trying to apply one or more Mozilla themes, they don't install as a
regular user.  I've found a couple of references that indicate Mozilla
is broken in assuming that themes need to be installed globally (system
level) rather in user space.  But I can't find mention of how to do
this.

  1. How do you install a theme systemwide?  I've downloaded the Alfred
     theme zipfile, but can't figure out what to do with it.

  2. Is there a way to install themes locally (user-only)?

A couple of related questions:

  - Navigator only:  any way to *just* get the navigator portion of
    Mozilla?  If this means building from sources, so be it, but at 56k
    download, it kinda sucks.

  - Mail/News prefs:  I'd prefer using _my choice_ of mail/news agents
    (mutt, tin).  Any way to configure this?

TIA.