Re: Installing / applying Mozilla themes?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 02:33:44PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> What user are you running Mozilla as?  root?  If not, did you change
> permissions on /usr/lib/mozilla/chrome?
>
> In my case, I did the following:
>
>   - I added a group 'mozchrome' to the system.
>   - I did a recursive modification to groups and privs to /usr/lib/mozilla
>     changing the group to 'mozchrome' and adding group write privs.
>   - I added my standard userid to the 'mozchrome' group.
>
> This apparently allows me to add new chromes under Mozilla.  It is
> bassfuckingackwards as hell.

its a security hole.

you can however install the chrome files manually as root, then run
the mozilla postinst script /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla.postinst which
will regenerate the [windows] registry.  then the chrome will be known
by mozilla and you need not run it as root or unsecure your system to
run mozilla

you have to do this for the psm install, see
/usr/share/doc/mozilla/psm-helper for info on the registry
regeneration.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/