Re: IMAP MUA and filtering

On Tuesday, 23 January 2001 at 17:27, Brian May wrote:

>     Brendan> As far as I know they've been allowed in courier for a
>     Brendan> while. In mutt you can press <enter> to descend
>     Brendan> subfolders and <space> to open a mailbox. or maybe it's
>     Brendan> the other way around - I haven't tested this stuff too
>     Brendan> much since I wrote it a long time ago (school has been
>     Brendan> crazy).  The folder browser is one of the worst parts of
>     Brendan> mutt's IMAP support, but I think it basically *works*,
>     Brendan> it's just ugly.
>
> Hmmm... Maybe I need a new version of mutt too...
>
> I can only open a mailbox here if I type in the full name.
>
> Sometimes I can browse through the folders on the imap server (by
> pushing buttons at random until I find something that works), but it
> doesn't seem to be working now.

To browse, I think you should just be able to type c<tab> - except if
you've got a mailbox with new mail filled in you'll end up
tab-completing instead. To tab-complete you need to at least have the
server part typed - mutt can't tab-complete hostnames. Usually this is
simple since you've defined $folder to contain the hostname, so you can
just tab-complete using the '=' prefix (ie c=<tab>)

>     Brendan> I'm planning to revisit the folder browser soon, but I'm
>     Brendan> currently having problems trying to get gdb to work with
>     Brendan> my mutt and the debian SASL packages - I think the
>     Brendan> authentication problem is more important.
>
> Ok. (reading between the lines) Does that imply you have got SASL
> support in courier-imap? Now that would be good...

er, dunno - I'm not running courier ATM. mutt has SASL support, but
apparently there's something wrong in the current version, either in
mutt or the SASL package. Unfortunately I'm having problems with my
debugger using a locally-built mutt against the debian SASL library:

(gdb) b imap_auth_sasl
Breakpoint 1 at 0x80a0b3c: file
/usr/devel/cvs/guug/mutt/imap/auth_sasl.c, line 36.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/brendan/build/mutt/./mutt
Cannot access memory at address 0x40017de8
(gdb)

which is what I'm working on now...