Re: IMAP MUA and filtering

>     Phil> I think it's less "it's a dumb IMAP server" and more "it's a
>     Phil> dumb email client that doesn't let you set your mailbox
>     Phil> path" (netscape calls it the "mail server directory").
>
> I think you misunderstood me.

Perhaps.

> Otherwise, please tell me how do I create a sub-folder called
> "January" under the sub-folder "1999", under the folder "Sent-Mail"
> using courier-imap?

Depends on the mail client.  It should Just Work, however it's done.  It
does for me, at least.

I'm using courier-imap 1.0-2, compiled from woody sources, btw.

In any case, you have:

Sent-Mail

 --1999

and you want to add January to the mix, under 1999.

First, assume you're using a GUI mail client.  Second, ight click on 1999,
and a pop-up window asks you for the name of the new folder.  Enter the
name (January), press OK.

You end up with:

Sent-Mail

 --1999

    --January

Simple.  Those basic directions work with Netscape/Mozilla, OE and XFMail.
I don't remember how to do it with anything else off hand.  Whether or not
it'll work also depends greatly on the IMAP server software.

> What email client do you consider "not-dumb"?

Well, among the ones I've looked at...

non-dumb:
Pine
Outlook Express
Outlook
Pegasus
Eudora
Mutt
Evolution

dumb:
Netscape/Mozilla (dosn't always respect a non-standard mailbox folder
   path with some mail servers)
Balsa (only supports single imap folders)
Spruce (ditto)
XFMail (same reason as Netscape, although it seems broken in other ways
   too)

There's very likely something I'm missing in both lists.  There's very
likely going to be some dissent as to which mail client goes in which list
:)

> All of them I have tried represent the folders in the same way: as
> subfolders of "INBOX".

It's the mail client not respecting the mailbox folder path.

I don't know what else to say.  With everything I've tried, all my mail
folders are shown as subfolders of INBOX until I tweak the config a little
(usually by going into the mail client config and telling it that the mail
folders are store relative to "INBOX.").

> This is as described in the courier-imap FAQ I quoted in my previous
> E-Mail.

Yep, sure is.

- --
Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D  7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc