Re: Frequent download time outs

Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> writes:

>I have the same problem, but some sites are much worse than others.  I
>know it was happening with Debian 2.1, but I don't know about before
>that.  You don't mention if you are using a modem, cable, or DSL, but
>I am using a modem.  My suspicion is that it is due to timeouts at the
>host site, ISP, or somewhere in-between.  Since modems are much
>slower, I suspect that modem users are much more likely to have this
>kind of problem.

I am using a modem for connecting to my ISP.

>I used a unix login at my ISP to test some sites, and downloads
>directly to my ISP are completely error free.  Downloads directly from
>my ISP are similarly error free, so see if you can come to any other
>conclusions.  If anybody else has any other information *please* let
>me know.

This is similar to what I am seeing, except I can telnet to my own
local gateway machine running Debian 1.3 and get error free downloads!
Or I can use one of the Mac or Windows machines and get good downloads
going through the gateway from an Ethernet connection.  That's why I'm
convinced it is something that changed between Debian 2.0 and 2.2 that
I'm not setting up properly.  My hardware and my ISP can provide
downloads without time outs *except* when I am using 2.2.

At least I'm not the only one having the problem (misery loves
company ;).

Regards,
   Jeff