Re: Frequent download time outs

jkelm@concentric.net (Jeff Kelm) writes:

> I am having trouble getting reliable downloads using Debian 2.2.  After
> downloading 30-150KB the download usually stops and eventually times
> out.  I noticed this first when I tried using apt-get to download the
> base system packages.  During 'apt-get update' download of the package
> lists, the system will time out.  It took several attempts to finally
> get the full lists.  It took even longer to download the necessary
> packages.

I have the same problem, but some sites are much worse than others.  I
know it was happening with Debian 2.1, but I don't know about before
that.  You don't mention if you are using a modem, cable, or DSL, but
I am using a modem.  My suspicion is that it is due to timeouts at the
host site, ISP, or somewhere in-between.  Since modems are much
slower, I suspect that modem users are much more likely to have this
kind of problem.

I used a unix login at my ISP to test some sites, and downloads
directly to my ISP are completely error free.  Downloads directly from
my ISP are similarly error free, so see if you can come to any other
conclusions.  If anybody else has any other information *please* let
me know.

Some times are much better than others, so you may want to setup wget
to automatically download at off-peak times.  I use wget with options
-t 10 -T 60 so it will keep trying with short timeouts.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org