Re: Frequent download time outs

Quoting Jeff Kelm (jkelm@concentric.net):
> I am having trouble getting reliable downloads using Debian 2.2.  After
> downloading 30-150KB the download usually stops and eventually times
> out.  I noticed this first when I tried using apt-get to download the
> base system packages.  During 'apt-get update' download of the package
> lists, the system will time out.  It took several attempts to finally
> get the full lists.  It took even longer to download the necessary
> packages.
>
> That's the short plea for help.  The details of my system follow.  I
> have a small home network that consists of a gateway/server running
> Debian 1.3 (connecting to the Internet using ppp/diald), a Debian 2.0
> workstation, a Win98 machine, 3 Macintosh machines, and a network
> printer.
>
> This arrangement has been working flawlessly for a long time.  I
> upgraded my workstation from 2.0 to 2.2.

Ans was that when you moved from 2.0.x to 2.2.x kernels (the numbering
coincidence being just that). If so, you might try the following:

cd /lib/modules/2.2.whatever/net
mv -i bsd_comp.o bsd_comp.hidden
mv -i ppp_deflate.o ppp_deflate.hidden

and ignore the resulting kernel error messages.

> So I don't think I have a
> hardware, gateway, or ISP problem.  It seems to be isolated to Debian
> 2.2.

I got it in slink as soon as I upgraded to 2.2 kernels at both ends of
the link. (For the longest time, I ran 2.0 kernels on my dial-in
boxes.)

> Since I can't find any mention of anybody having a similar problem with
> 2.2,

It probably got discussed a long while back, eg the thread in Nov 99
entitled "ppp problem with 2.2.X kernel; ok with 2.0.36".

Cheers,