Re: Can't get sound to work!

Rev. Ferret wrote:

Ok, I got sound working.  On my windows boot the sound was on IRQ 5, it kept trying to put it on IRQ 7 in linux.  I added a /etc/modutils/sound file and put
options sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1
in it, but when I rebooted it seemed to ignore that file.

You also have to run "update-modules"; that reads the files in "/etc/modules" and propogates any necessary config information into "/etc/modules.conf".

  So instead I edited /etc/modules.  It had a single line in it that said:
sb
So I change it to read:
sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1
That worked.  What is confusing me now, is that when I shut down, during my shutdown messages I get a message that the alsa driver isn't running.  This is correct, it shouldn't be.  But I can't
figure out why my machine is trying to shut it down.  I checked in rcS.d and my rc5.d directories (I'm running in mode 5) but I can't figure out where my machine is trying start/shutdown the alsa
drivers.

Not being a user of ALSA, I can't speak to this; you might want to start a new thread so people don't tune out this question based on the old, now non-applicable, subject line.

 Also, during my boot sequence my machine scans for SCSI interfaces.  I don't have any scsi interfaces so how can I stop it from doing this scan everytime I boot?

You might need to recompile your kernel; the stock kernel contains code for SCSI devices; it doesn't hurt to leave it there (except getting rid of it woudl make your kernel smaller).

BTW, apt-get rocks.  Now I know why people who use debian never go to anything else.  I'm addicted :

Yeppers.