Re: help! just upgraded and now can't login!

Tim&Pep wrote:

Hi,

I'm a Debian newbie. I have just used apt-get to upgrade my system and
now I can't seem to log in at all under X. I can login on one of the
other virtual terminals (or whatever you call that when you press
ctrl-alt F6). What have I done? Can I fix it? Thanks.

Tim

Are you upgrading from Woody, or Stable, or what?

The clue you need is probably in the output of X's startup. From a console, type "startx 2> X.log". When X fails to start, look in "X.log" (and maybe send its contents to the list); the clue will likely be there somewhere.