Re: Can't get sound to work!

Rev. Ferret wrote:

Ok, I added myself to user audio and I now get sound from things.  There is just one problem.  The sound skips.  It sounds like a broken record player, where it plays the same bit over and over
again.  I tried chmod'ing the audio things to world usable, but it didn't help.  Any ideas on how to get  it to stop skipping?  At least I'm getting some sound now :)

Probably one of two things:
(1) wrong sound driver or problems with the driver
(2) IRQ or IOPort conflict

If this is an ISA card, it's probably the second. Do you have a dual-boot with Win9x? If so, what IRQ/io does it report the card being on? Does this match what Linux thinks? Or maybe it's a jumper-configured card, in which case, make sure Linux sees the same settings that the card is actually on. If Linux doesn't match the actual settings, you can feed the settings to the module when it installs. For example, I have a file "/etc/modutils/sound" which has the two lines:
options uart401 irq=9 io=0x330
options sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1

hth, Kent