Re: 2 kernels on the same machine

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 06:06:05PM +0100, Philipp Bliedung wrote:
> Hi,
> Can I use two kernels (for example 2.4 and 2.2.17) on the same machine?
> I mean can I use kernel 2.2.17 as the "normal" kernel I boot with and
> then still compile kernels in the 2.4 version (not for this computer but
> for others)  - or will with cause more problems than it would solve? :)
> Will there be any problem when I have two kernel sources in  /usr/src?
> Will there be any conflicts with the modules of either version?
> Does anybody know any site where I can find information about this?

Of course you can.  The kernel is, after all, just code.

Somebody else mentioned cross compiling, which is probably not what you
care about.  Sure, compiling a PPC kernel on intel is probably going to
be a major pain.  But compiling a kernel for your 386 on your dual P-III
(or vice versa, if you're masochistic) is just fine, and the binaries
should be completely indistinguishable if you're using the same
compilers and stuff.

One thing that will make this easier for you is the Debian tool
'make-kpkg' in the kernel-package package.  It allows you to make a .deb
file out of your kernel.  So if you want to compile a new kernel for
your 386 on your P-III, just use make-kpkg to create a .deb out of it,
copy it over to the 386 and use dpkg to install it.

The kernel sources should be completely self-contained in their own
source tree, so there's no reason you can't have /usr/src/linux-2.2.18
and linux-2.4.0 and linux-2.5.0 when it comes out.

noah