2 kernels on the same machine

Hi,
Can I use two kernels (for example 2.4 and 2.2.17) on the same machine?
I mean can I use kernel 2.2.17 as the "normal" kernel I boot with and
then still compile kernels in the 2.4 version (not for this computer but
for others)  - or will with cause more problems than it would solve? :)
Will there be any problem when I have two kernel sources in  /usr/src?
Will there be any conflicts with the modules of either version?
Does anybody know any site where I can find information about this?

TIA!
Philipp