Re: 2 kernels on the same machine

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 06:06:05PM +0100, Philipp Bliedung wrote:

> Can I use two kernels (for example 2.4 and 2.2.17) on the same machine?

Yes, you can.

> I mean can I use kernel 2.2.17 as the "normal" kernel I boot with and
> then still compile kernels in the 2.4 version (not for this computer but
> for others)  - or will with cause more problems than it would solve? :)

You should have a look at "make-kpkg" from the package kernel-package.
With that you can create debian packages of custom kernels that you can
easily transfer to other machines, even if they are different archi-
tectures.

> Will there be any problem when I have two kernel sources in  /usr/src?
> Will there be any conflicts with the modules of either version?

If you use different kernel versions (like 2.2.17 vs 2.4.0) you should
not have any problems.

> Does anybody know any site where I can find information about this?

make-kpkg has been mentioned on this list a lot lately. Have a look at

http://lists.debian.org

search for the archives of debian-user and look at the kernel related
questions.

Diego Biurrun