Re: problem compiling kernels

Ok,

now I feel a bit of a fool, this does seem to be a bug either in the
kernel source (non-debian), or in the way kernel-package parses v2.4
info.

I looked at my last mail and realized I was builing a "test" kernel on
an "unstable" system.  I logged into my workstation running "stable"
with 2.2.17 kernel & sources, and make-kpkg worked just as it should.

This is very similar to my first kernel build, for months I kept
getting weird compile errors that I couldn't understand, being very
new to linux at the time.  One day it worked, and has since, never did
figure out what I was doing wrong.

To clarify some questions asked: