Re: Grub vs LILO

    Joachim> Could it be simpler than launching a `grub-install
    Joachim> /dev/sda' (or whichever partition you wants to install it
    Joachim> to)? You should have copied all the files in
    Joachim> /usr/share/grub/i386/ to a directory /boot/grub/ (don't
    Joachim> know why the postinst script can't do that as well) and
    Joachim> have got a working /boot/grub/menu.lst (the counterpart
    Joachim> of lilo.conf) previously, of course.

My version has no grub-install - is this something new in unstable?

Instead my version has a shell that can be started from the Unix
prompt.  The info page comes with a warning, that it uses "raw
devices", and installing it while the file-systems are in use may
corrupt the file-systems. It gives a list of steps to minimise the
"danger", such as un-mounting drives first or mounting it read-only.

Instead the recommended way is to copy grub on to a floppy disk, boot
from it, and install it from the disk. Which is rather difficult in my
experience, as floppy disks only seem to work for one boot before
dying :-(.

Seems to be a bit paranoid to me. I am hopeful that the situation has
now improved...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>