Re: PPPoE misbehaving

Le lun, 15 jan 2001 22:47:40, astrogeek@dork.com a écrit :
> I recently had ADSL service installed, and I have had some strange
> problems with it connecting to certain WWW sites.  For example:
> http://tempo.gsu.edu, http://www.mbnanetaccess.com, http://www.aol.com,
> http://http.us.debian.org(!).  Sending email has also stopped working.
>
> Almost everything else works fine.  What happens is the host is looked
> up, contacted, I receive a reply, then it stops at "transferring data".
> The email messages all time out.  I can receive email directly, but not
> send it using exim now.
>
> I'm using the pppoe package from Potato.  The machine in question does
> ipmasq for a couple of Linux machines, these sites (and a few others)
> fail on every single machine including the one connected directly to the
> internet.  What I find to be really strange is that these sites work when
> I fall back to using the old dialup on the same machine, including on the
> ipmasq'ed machines.  So I figure I must have something set up wrong, but
> I'm at a loss as to what it might be.  I tried setting the MTU and MRU to
> 1500 with the same results (and a slight drop in transfer speed).

the current rp-pppoe is 2.6 (at http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe)

Read HOW-TO-CONNECT, particularly the following section:

I) I can browse some web sites just fine, but others stall forever.

There is probably a buggy router or firewall between you and the Web
server.
One possible workaround:  In /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf, find the line which
reads:

        CLAMPMSS=1412

Try lowering the 1412 until it works (go down in steps of 100 or so.)  Each
time you lower the value, you have to restart your connection like this:

        adsl-stop; adsl-start

This should work around buggy routers which do not support Path MTU
discovery.

HTH,
Philippe
--