Re: **NVIDIA driver petition**

And Terry Warner <keerf@netlabs.net> gave word to the following
thoughts:

-|Has anyone stopped to think that maybe nvidia can't open source
their drivers? I know for a fact they can't because of certain things,
that if anyone has paid attention to game boards or interviews,
restrict them from open sourcing their code.
-|
-|I personally would love to see their 4.0 drivers released as open
source, and I know they are trying to one day reach that goal, but for
right now like I said. They can't open source them.
-|

I don't want to sound too rude on that, but, it already has been
written here today, and it's same this way, my $0.02 on that: It is
not acceptable, anyhow, to find excuses for why the software can't be
GPL'ed. Following this point of view, we're pretty close to the day of
having more and more closed-sourced applications because people will
then find reasons (like this *really* threatening software patents) to
say, like "It's not our fault, we're not *allowed* to put this stuff
open-source." Again I want to emphasize that I'm at some point
understanding NVidia's difficulties, right now, but, being a
Debian-user because of the "GNU" in the name, I *still* think it is a
--*bad*-- situation this way, same as the fact that NVidia workers
spent quite some time to remove the open-sourced components from the
drivers before they released their 'final' own proprietary drivers
(the open version obviously is what is still inside utah-glx). Why to
waste time making software closed-source again? Sorry, but I think
that 'being-not-allowed-to-go-GPL' excuse is making things a little
*too* easy for NVidia.

Regards,
Kris

--