Re: trying to install ALSA

James,

No, the symlink is ok.  AFAIK, there are a number of files that ALSA
wants/needs that only exist after you have built the kernel once.  If there is
any other way to create these, I'd like to hear it.  See my Debian University
document for more information:
http://www.xnet.com/~darogers/debian_university.txt

Cheers,
dar