Wow, after weeks re-installing everything, I finally started x

So, I guess it is progress.  Finally succeeded on Mitsubishi Amity laptop
with xf86config, using monochrome VGA and lowest resolutions.  OK, now X will
start, and a get cross-hatched screen with a big black X in the middle.  But
system is not responsive to keystrokes, like alt-F2 to try to start a console
& find out what is going on (if possible), and mouse is frozen too.  If I
exit with C_A_backspace, I can back to prompt.

OK. "locate gnome" finds MANY files.  But "gnome" at prompt returns:
bash: gnome: command not found.

Newbie is stuck again and needs clues.  TIA,  dave