Re: new boot disk?

On Thursday 11 January 2001  5:08 am, James W. Lindenschmidt wrote:
> Greetings, everyone.
>
> I just migrated from RedHat over to Debian potato and I'm thrilled
> so far.
>
> But, I think my boot disk is defective, since it takes 5-7 minutes
> for the

> process to complete from /dev/fd0 before Linux actually boots. I
> suspect I have a bad floppy, and I want to make a new boot floppy.
>
> I've tried going back into dbootstrap to make it from there, but it
> won't work. It says my disk is either write protected or I'm not
> using the first disk drive, despite the fact that /dev/fd0 whirs
> before I get this error message. I've tried 5 different newly
> formatted disks, and I always get this error.
>
> Is there any other way to make a boot disk? I need to use this
> temporarily until I can install LILO.

This was a problem I encountered when first installing Slink. It also
occurs when I first installed Potato. What gives a dramatic
improvement in booting speed for me is to re-compile the kernel
(#make config, #make dep, #make clean, and #make bzdisk).
Up to now, I've always booted from floppies and kernels as supplied
are not quite what I need so recompiling is desirable.

My booting time now is to the order of 40secs - on first install it
was similar to your experience (just over 6mins).

John.