new boot disk?

Greetings, everyone.

I just migrated from RedHat over to Debian potato and I'm thrilled so
far.

But, I think my boot disk is defective, since it takes 5-7 minutes for
the

process to complete from /dev/fd0 before Linux actually boots. I suspect
I have a bad floppy, and I want to make a new boot floppy.

I've tried going back into dbootstrap to make it from there, but it
won't work. It says my disk is either write protected or I'm not using
the first disk drive, despite the fact that /dev/fd0 whirs before I get
this error message. I've tried 5 different newly formatted disks, and I
always get this error.

Is there any other way to make a boot disk? I need to use this
temporarily until I can install LILO.

Thanks...