Re: new boot disk?

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, James W. Lindenschmidt wrote:

-|Greetings, everyone.
-|
-|I just migrated from RedHat over to Debian potato and I'm thrilled so
-|far.
-|
-|But, I think my boot disk is defective, since it takes 5-7 minutes for
-|the
-|
-|
-|process to complete from /dev/fd0 before Linux actually boots. I suspect
-|I have a bad floppy, and I want to make a new boot floppy.
-|
-|I've tried going back into dbootstrap to make it from there, but it
-|won't work. It says my disk is either write protected or I'm not using
-|the first disk drive, despite the fact that /dev/fd0 whirs before I get
-|this error message. I've tried 5 different newly formatted disks, and I
-|always get this error.
-|
-|Is there any other way to make a boot disk? I need to use this
-|temporarily until I can install LILO.
-|

To make a boot floppy:

dd if=Your_Kernel of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k
rdev /dev/fd0 Your_Root_Partition
rdev -R /dev/fd0 1

If you change your kernel or move your root you will
have to remake your floppy.

--
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com