Re: 2.4.0-test12kernel problem

ethan, i had another thought about this issue.

you claim that:

	"my system finds System.map-kernelversion just fine."

i think that's inaccurate.   looking over what you _actually_ said, i think
what you actually meant to say is:

	"nothing seems to complain about not finding a System.map file"

just because "ps" doesn't complain doesn't mean that other things aren't
broken, or won't break in the future.  there are certain drivers that use
the System.map file to look up symbols because they're not linked to glibc.
how are you _sure_ that they look for the same file names that ps apparently
does?

there are programs like wine and dosemu that require an accurate
representation of exported kernel symbols.  again, how are you sure they
look for the same filenames that ps does?

some of these things may non-fatally fail silently.   maybe you don't use
the drivers or programs that don't behave the same way that ps does.
perhaps you haven't seen a real kernel oops.  of if you have, maybe you
didn't try to trace it.

there are many possibilities here.

i think the safest thing to do, considering the complete lack of documentation
to say otherwise, is to adhere to what the man page says.  it's safe, it's
really not any less convenient, and it allows you to have more than one copy
of the same compiled kernel.

of course, you could say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  but that
assumes a static situation.  we're always installing things and changing
things about our systems and the installed software.  i think it's best if
we follow the documented procedure.  and klogd is documented to look for
System.map in a set of predetermined directories, not not
System.map-kernelversion.

just a thought.  (and of course, maybe the man page is wrong!)

peter

Just upgraded to Woody? Don't have permission to run X? In Xwrapper.config
Change allowed_users from root to console.
To err is human, to forgive is divine.      p@belial.ucdavis.edu       -
To oink is porcine, to meow is feline.    http://www.dirac.org/p      ._.
To neigh is equine to howl is lupine,                                 /v\
To moo is bovine to bleat is ovine.                                  // \\
GPG Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E 70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D   rules