Re: Resolving http addresses

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 11:49:27AM -0700, Clayton Stapleton wrote:
> The /etc/resolv.conf had two nameservers that shows up in /var/log/messages.
> I am wondering how they got there as I never entered them. My ISP is
> Dynamic and I never know in advance what they will be. So I commented them
> out but it made no difference. Still cannot "resovle host www.mozilla.org".

You need to have name server addresses in your resolv.conf file.

If you do not have them, you will not be able to use DNS.

Un-comment your DNS IP addresses in your resolv.conf file, then
check your host.conf file.  What does it have in it?  It should have
something like:

order hosts,bind
multi on

in it.

Also, please answer these questions:

1) Do you have any firewall rules in place?

   Check by running: ipchains -n -L

2) Can you ping at least one of the IP addresses listed in your resolv.conf
   file as name servers?

   Check with: ping w.x.y.z

   where w.x.y.z is one the IP addresses listed in your resolv.conf file.

3) When you run nslookup from a command line, what does it tell you it
   is using for a DNS server address?

   Check by running: nslookup

   then look at the output.  It should show something like:

    Default Server:  localhost
    Address:  127.0.0.1

   Then, enter an address you want resolved.  The result should be something
   like:

    > hp.com
    Server:  localhost
    Address:  127.0.0.1

    Name:    hp.com
    Addresses:  192.151.52.13, 192.151.52.10, 192.151.11.13, 192.151.11.32

   If this does not work, please tell us exactly what happens, and what
   is displayed when you try all of the above.

John S.