Re: 2.4.0-test12kernel problem

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:35:50 -0800
Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:

> On Wed 13 Dec 00, 11:28 PM, Ethan Benson said...
> > On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 11:07:18PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > i wrote a very nice piece on the System.map file.   you can find it at my
> > > personal website, along with other bits and pieces of linux knowledge:
> > >
> > > 	http://www.dirac.org/p/linux/systemmap.html
> > >
> > > what's most likely happening is that the System.map file that klogd is
> > > finding is in /boot/System.map, since that's the first location klogd will
> > > look by default.
> > >
> > > one of the steps when you compile a kernel would be:
> > >
> > > cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-thisversion
> >
> > good
> >
> > > ln -s /boot/System.map-thisversion /boot/System.map
> >
> > unecessary, this has not been required ever since 2.2 kernels came
> > out, and possibly even before that.  everything that uses System.map
> > looks for System.map-`uname -r` you don't need that symlink.  redhat
> > still does this for incomprehensible reasons.  all it accomplishes is
> >allowing you to only boot one version of the kernel with a matching System.map.
>
> ethan, this is fantastic news if true.
>
> i tried to verify your claim by looking at the man page for klogd.
> couldn't find anything about looking for System.map-version.
>
> i also looked in /usr/src/Documentation/oops-tracing, with no success.
>
> i do beleive you, but can you give me a reference on this?

Actually, I did use this since quite a while, but then, there is at
least one situation, when it doesn't (can't) work: If I compile the
same kernel with different options (for instance to test tuning
options), calling them, say 2.2.18a and 2.2.18b, it will not read
normally The Right System.map file. It's a pitty, that this is not
taken from the kernel's name (vmlinux-2.2.18a). But of course this
isn't even possible since the kernel is loaded much earlier than any
file system...

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@prestonet.com.br