Re: Setting up a postscript printer

>>>>> "c" == csj  <csj@mindgate.net> writes:
    c>  Can you (the original poster) print to file using your CUPS
    c> setup? If you can print to file, but not to the printer, it's
    c> probably a printer-queue problem.  My own experience: I spent two
    c> day figuring out that the proper command isn't "lpr" or "lpr -P
    c> lp0" but "lpr -P lp foo.txt."
    c>

I am the original poster.

What's the difference b/w "lpr foo.txt" and "lpr -P lp foo.txt" ?

With CUPS, I think I had only tried lpr <filename>. Gave me a blinky
Data LED on the printer but nothing got printed.

What do you mean by "print to file" ?

I think I will need a filter setup, even though I thought I wouldn't
need one with a PS printer, since the Optra E312 only seems to
Postscript Level 2.

Using a printcap supplied by another member of this list, I get
stair-stepped output and no EOF seems to be sent with the job. Also,
printing from Netscape, XEmacs (using ps-print) produces a raw
Postscript dump and they both seem to be generating Adobe PS 3.0 which
the Optra E312 seems to be unable to handle without any filter.

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com