Re: Setting up a postscript printer

On Tuesday 12 December 2000 09:36, S.Salman Ahmed wrote:

>     c>  Can you (the original poster) print to file using your CUPS
>     c> setup? If you can print to file, but not to the printer, it's
>     c> probably a printer-queue problem.  My own experience: I spent two
>     c> day figuring out that the proper command isn't "lpr" or "lpr -P
>     c> lp0" but "lpr -P lp foo.txt."
>     c>
>
> I am the original poster.
>
> What's the difference b/w "lpr foo.txt" and "lpr -P lp foo.txt" ?
>
> With CUPS, I think I had only tried lpr <filename>. Gave me a blinky
> Data LED on the printer but nothing got printed.
>
> What do you mean by "print to file" ?
>
> I think I will need a filter setup, even though I thought I wouldn't
> need one with a PS printer, since the Optra E312 only seems to
> Postscript Level 2.
>
> Using a printcap supplied by another member of this list, I get
> stair-stepped output and no EOF seems to be sent with the job. Also,
> printing from Netscape, XEmacs (using ps-print) produces a raw
> Postscript dump and they both seem to be generating Adobe PS 3.0 which
> the Optra E312 seems to be unable to handle without any filter.

Sorry, I was speaking in behalf of my Lexmark 7000 inkjet. My last experience
with an honest-to-goodness Postscript laser was in the late 80's (Before
Linux). Why don't you try the CUPS home page?

Or maybe you don't need CUPS. It looks like an application software problem.
Postscript files are text files already (Level1 in any case). So it shouldn't
be a problem dumping them to the printer.

"print to file" = most applications I use have the option to print straight
to (1) printer or indirectly to (2) file "output.ps". (Did I understand your
question correctly or is it rhetorical?)

BTW, not all inkjet printers are ink-wasting sluggards. My ink-wasting
Lexmark inkjet can do 8 ppm in draft mode. Not as pretty as a modern laser.
But comparable in quality to the output of the first lasers.