Re: Setting up a postscript printer

Vi scribis:

> I have a Lexmark Optra E312 Postscript printer that I am trying,
> unsuccessfully, to configure.
>
> I decided to use CUPS as the LinuxPrinting-HOWTO mentions that to be
> quite easy. So I apt-get installed cupsys, cupsys-bsd, cupsys-client,
> qtcups and xpp, the last two packages being frontends.
[...]
I don't know much about CUPS...
> Alternatively, is there another way to setup this postscript printer ? I
> have the printer's PPD file so I was assuming that this would have been
> really easy.
Yes the alternative is easy (with no need of a custom ppd file).
Having installed a printer spooler (like lprng), (apt-)get yourself a
printer filter (although it's a postscript printer, the filter facilitates
adjustments like resolution [600x300 in your case I think], and let you deal
automatically with a lot file formats) like apsfilter or
magicfilter. Start the configtool (e.g. magicfilterconfig), and here you
are.
HTH

MH

--