Re: Setting up a postscript printer

On Monday 11 December 2000 15:55, MH wrote:

> > Vi scribis:
> > I have a Lexmark Optra E312 Postscript printer that I am trying,
> > unsuccessfully, to configure.
> >
> > I decided to use CUPS as the LinuxPrinting-HOWTO mentions that to be
> > quite easy. So I apt-get installed cupsys, cupsys-bsd, cupsys-client,
> > qtcups and xpp, the last two packages being frontends.
>
> [...]
> I don't know much about CUPS...
>
> > Alternatively, is there another way to setup this postscript printer ? I
> > have the printer's PPD file so I was assuming that this would have been
> > really easy.
>
> Yes the alternative is easy (with no need of a custom ppd file).
> Having installed a printer spooler (like lprng), (apt-)get yourself a
> printer filter (although it's a postscript printer, the filter facilitates
> adjustments like resolution [600x300 in your case I think], and let you
> deal automatically with a lot file formats) like apsfilter or
> magicfilter. Start the configtool (e.g. magicfilterconfig), and here you
> are.

Can you (the original poster) print to file using your CUPS setup? If you can
print to file, but not to the printer, it's probably a printer-queue problem.
My own experience: I spent two day figuring out that the proper command isn't
"lpr" or "lpr -P lp0" but "lpr -P lp foo.txt."

Try dumping a text-file to the printer. OTOH, this might not apply to you I
have a Lexmark 7000 inkjet (non-Postscript).