Going Debian: advice request

Hi all

After long doubts and four years using Linux, I'm finally decided to
use Debian as my distro and not change anymore. Would you
kindly clear some things to me?

I'm thinking of installing potato, since am really fed up of half-boiled
distros (RH7, for instance), but I´d like to have some packages in
more bleeding-edge versions. Any problem about that? Should I
install woody instead if I intend to use non-stable packages?

-After reading Debian docs, I don't get how updating works. Should
I expect stable packages of gnome 1.2, XFree 4, etc.for potato or
they're reserved for when woody becomes stable? In different
words: through updating, does potato become woody, or potato
doesn't change and it's woody what will change until stability?

-How stable is unstable? I'm not running a server, should I go to
woody directly?

I know these are questions are very newby-like, but you don't know
how different Debian sounds for a Red Hat/Mandrake guy. Thanks
for all.

Dr. Rodolfo Canet-Castello
Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Agrarias (IVIA)
Dpto. Recursos Naturales
Aptdo. oficial. 46113-Moncada (Valencia). ESPAÑA-SPAIN.
Phone: 34-96-1391000      Fax: 34-96-1390240
Web page: http://www.ivia.es
Web page of Spanish Group of Soil Enzymology:
http://www.ivia.es/soilenzymology/