Re: Going Debian: advice request

To answer one of your questions....

Once a stable version is released, it only gets updated (primarily) with
security fixes. In other words, you won't see XFree 4.X, etc. in potato.

So potato will never become woody, but rather woody will become "frozen"
for testing, and then "stable" when it's released. As soon as woody goes
frozen, a new unstable branch is started to pick up where woody left
off.

Tom