Re: Going Debian: advice request

Hola Rodolfo, salutacions des de Barcelona!

> After long doubts and four years using Linux, I'm finally decided to
> use Debian as my distro and not change anymore.

Good decision! :)

> I'm thinking of installing potato, since am really fed up of half-boiled
> distros (RH7, for instance), but I´d like to have some packages in
> more bleeding-edge versions. Any problem about that? Should I
> install woody instead if I intend to use non-stable packages?

I've read many times that using woody is like using RH (not 7, it's curious but this list was full of ex RedHat sysadmins. With RH 7 it seems that this number is even increasing!)

> -After reading Debian docs, I don't get how updating works. Should
> I expect stable packages of gnome 1.2, XFree 4, etc.for potato or
> they're reserved for when woody becomes stable? In different
> words: through updating, does potato become woody, or potato
> doesn't change and it's woody what will change until stability?
>
> -How stable is unstable? I'm not running a server, should I go to
> woody directly?

You can try potato with the bleeding edge packages you need from woody.

If you used in detail those distros (going to /etc with a text editor) Debian won't be painful.

You can check the Xfree 4 issues on this list, in the previous weeks. There have been some.

Que vagi bé,

Ignasi