Re: Setting up a postscript printer

"S.Salman Ahmed" <ssahmed@pathcom.com> writes:

> I have a Lexmark Optra E312 Postscript printer that I am trying,
> unsuccessfully, to configure.
>
> I decided to use CUPS as the LinuxPrinting-HOWTO mentions that to be
> quite easy. So I apt-get installed cupsys, cupsys-bsd, cupsys-client,
> qtcups and xpp, the last two packages being frontends.
>
> I copied the Optra E312's PPD file to /usr/share/cups/models and was
> able to successfully add the Optra E312 printer using their web
> interface (running on localhost:631). And I was also able to print the
> test page from web interface, and the test page came out fine.
>
> But that is all I have been able to print. When I try using either of
> the two frontend, qtcups or xpp, to print a file, I can see the Data LED
> on the printer blink but nothing gets printed. The log file shows the
> following:
>
> (/var/log/cups/error_log)
> I [10/Dec/2000:20:40:49 -0500] Job 15 queued on 'OptraE312' by 'ssahmed'.
> I [10/Dec/2000:20:40:49 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 658) for job 15.
> I [10/Dec/2000:20:40:49 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 659) for job 15.
> I [10/Dec/2000:20:40:49 -0500] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 660) for job 15.
>

> I have added myself to the lp group but I don't know if that makes a
> difference or not. My printer is setup on the first parallel port:
>
> (some output from dmesg)
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP]
> parport0: irq 7 detected
> parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(98)
> parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(98)
> parport0: Printer, Lexmark International Lexmark Optra E312
> lp0: using parport0 (polling).
> lp0: console ready
>

> I also tried using the CUPS-bsd command line utilities (lp, lpr) and
> they produce the same effect as well: the Data LED blinks but nothing
> gets printed at the printer.
>
> Can someone explain what I am doing wrong, or what step I have missed
> setting up CUPS ?
>
> Alternatively, is there another way to setup this postscript printer ? I
> have the printer's PPD file so I was assuming that this would have been
> really easy.

I recently installed the same type of printer and had no problems, but
I didn't use CUPS.  I just have the basic lpr and magicfilter packages
installed, and just told magicfilterconfig that I had a 600dpi laser
printer.  It certainly looks and sounds as though your printer is
being recognized and that data is being sent to it.  The printer is
supposed to auto-select between PS and PCL, so that shouldn't be a
problem.  It really sounds like CUPS isn't doing what you expect it to
do, but I don't use it so I can't help there.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org