Backspace key

I've been upgrading things from Woody -  a foolhardy venture but everythng
went well amd works beautifully apart from my backspace key which now
deletes the next character just like the delete key.  I really want it to
delete backwards - this is almost as bad as those first heady days when I
discovered Emacs!

Can't find the way on this - can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks for your time

Glyn M

--
                             So here we are then.....