Re: Backspace key

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 10:36:37PM +0000, Glyn Millington wrote:
-|
-|I've been upgrading things from Woody -  a foolhardy venture but everythng
-|went well amd works beautifully apart from my backspace key which now
-|deletes the next character just like the delete key.  I really want it to
-|delete backwards - this is almost as bad as those first heady days when I
-|discovered Emacs!
-|
-|Can't find the way on this - can anyone point me in the right direction ?
-|
-|Thanks for your time
-|
-|Glyn M

I had the same problem in Netscape and other apps.  What I did was
"startx 1>log 2>&log".  Then I checked the "log" file.  It was full
of errors pointing to "xkbcomp".  Based on the reported errors,
as root I did:

ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/xkbcomp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp

and restarted "X" and all has been OK since.  I posted a question
earlier on why I had to do this but no one has been able to shed
any light.  I feel better now knowing that I'm not the only one
with the "backspace" problem after an update.

--
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com