Re: fetchmail not communicating with exim.

"Robert A. Jacobs" <r.a.jacobs@home.com> writes:

> * Timmy Douglas <tdouglas@home.com> [231100 17:08]:
> >
> > > I'm using *basically* the same configuration (MTA: exim, MDA: procmail, MUA:
> > > mutt POP3-GET-MY-MAIL-WHEN-I-NEED-IT-APP-:] : fetchmail).  Maybe I can help?
> >
> > i would use iptables to block port 25 from all but localhost,
> > @home almost killed me for that. they don't allow any ``servers''
> > i think in their aup thing.
> >

> I'm working on it.  Just recompiled my kernel the other day to support
> firewalling but haven't had time to work on the iptables and other
> configuration issues.
>
> @home is way too broad in their description of "server".  I understand
> that their intent is to limit bandwidth since it is a shared resource
> but their one-size-fits-all policy is ridiculous.

yep

> I must have spent the better part of an hour arguing with them and explaining
> that I wasn't a home business and did not need their "@work" services but that
> I had some unusual needs as a programmer -- like wanting to run a webserver
> on my own machine for use by myself and a small group of others for
> development only!
>
> Before anyone says it, I would have gone DSL but I can't get it where I am...
> the switches are setup for it yet.  Sucks.

yeah

> They would not go for it.  They were especially not helpful after I, point
> blank, told them that their policy only served to conserve bandwidth for
> use by teenagers pirating software, stolen music and porn.  Hmmm...maybe
> I shouldn't have told them that, huh?  :)

hey! adults pirate software too!

> Mutt does have pop3 support, but it isn't very good.  I actually found it
> surprisingly easy to set up fetchmail.  I think the issue may be a faulty
> exim configuration here.

so fetchmail -v shows that it is going to the mta? if it is, then
it's probably a config error like you said.. right now i'm working
on a pop3->queue program for my mta so once i get that done (probably
won't take more than a day), i will be able to get rid of fetchmail..
one step closer to elminating all the programs that i didn't make!