RE: Network config

 > 1. I am reading te list so there is no need to send me a private mail
> too.
> 2. Please start to write at the beginning of a line. Your mails are
> very hard to read.

I aologize.

> Ok, sure there is a driver in the kernel-tree but you should under all
> circumstances try to compile the driver as a module because you can
> load and unload it this way and not have to reboot every time you try
> to set up your network.
>
> >          And it seemed that kernel can detect my card.
> >
> > $cat /proc/pci
>
> That does not mean, that the kernel detects your card but the the
> PCI-system does.
> What do your logfiles report while booting?

via-rhine.c:v1.01 2/27/99  Writen by Donald Becker
   http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/via-rhine.html

> What type of card do you have and what driver did you select?

I use Dlink dfe 530 TX version B. I select via-rhine for my driver.

> >       Is that possible this driver didn't  support built-in
> option. I can
> > use this driver when I
> >       use it as a module. I will work fine. But when I
> compile it as a
> > built-in driver, I want
> >       to know what should I do to make it work.  I tried to use
> > /etc/network/interfaces and
> >       ifup and still didn't work. Please help me. Thanks.
>
> It's really simple and very well described in the Ethernet-HOWTO.
> You compile the module. Yes, make it a module and not what you refer
> to as a "built in"-driver.
> Then you can load it. Check /var/log/messages or syslog to see if
> everything was ok. Then you can start to set it up with ifup or add
> the correct entrys to /etc/network/interfaces.
> Phil
Now I use via-rhine as a module, but when I insmod it.
It appeared some messages.
/lib/modules/2.2.17/net/via-rhine.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: this error an be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
It is a little strange. As I remembered, via-rhine did not require any
parameters.

Thanks
Gilbert