Re: Network config

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 09:48:49AM +0800, Gilbert.Li (§õ«Â¾§) wrote:

> > > $cat /proc/pci
> >
> > That does not mean, that the kernel detects your card but the the
> > PCI-system does.
> > What do your logfiles report while booting?
>
> via-rhine.c:v1.01 2/27/99  Writen by Donald Becker
>    http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/via-rhine.html
> > What type of card do you have and what driver did you select?
>
> I use Dlink dfe 530 TX version B. I select via-rhine for my driver.

What makes you think this driver is the right one? From the
Ethernet-HOWTO (I'd recommend you read it):

  5.14.4.  DE-530

  This is a generic DEC 21040 PCI chip implementation, and is reported
  to work with the generic 21040 tulip driver.

So you actually need to compile the tulip-driver as a module, not
via-rhine. Look for DEC in the section "Network Devices" during
kernel-configuration.

> > It's really simple and very well described in the Ethernet-HOWTO.
> > You compile the module. Yes, make it a module and not what you refer
> > to as a "built in"-driver.
> > Then you can load it. Check /var/log/messages or syslog to see if
> > everything was ok. Then you can start to set it up with ifup or add
> > the correct entrys to /etc/network/interfaces.
> > Phil
> Now I use via-rhine as a module, but when I insmod it.
> It appeared some messages.
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/via-rhine.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> Hint: this error an be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

This is the usual message when loading a module fails. In your case it
means: You got the wrong module.

> It is a little strange. As I remembered, via-rhine did not require any
> parameters.

What do you mean? When did you have the choice of giving parameters?
Did this driver ever work with your card?
Phil