Re: Kernel 2.0.34 -> 2.2.17?

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 07:22:46AM +0100, Erik van der Meulen wrote:

> I have a Linux 2.2 (upgraded from 2.1 apart from the kernel) box that

i assume you mean `Debian' and not `Linux' Linux is just a kernel,
GNU/Linux is the operating system, Debian is the distribution.  i
assume you now have a Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato) system running on
a 2.0 kernel.

> has a cable modem on eth0 (DHCP) and a LAN on eth1 (192.168.1.1).
> I have miraculously managed to get ipmasqing to work a year or two ago.
> Does anyone have any suggestions to what I have to expect (and do) if
> I download the 2.2.17 source and compile that on this box? Files to
> change, settings to make (docs to read ;-)).

Debian 2.2 aka potato is fully ready for a 2.2 kernel, there is really
not much of anything you have to do, as the kernel specific items are
smart enough to detect and adapt to either a 2.0 or 2.2 kernel.

all you should have to do is download the 2.2.17 tarball from
ftp.kernel.org (use a mirror), untar it into /usr/local/src, run `make
config' (or make menuconfig if you prefer) to configure the kernel as
you need it.  then run:

make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=5:hostname.2.2.0 kernel_image

after which you will have a kernel .deb in /usr/local/src/ which you
can install with dpkg -i.

make sure you configure lilo to let you boot the old kernel if
something goes wrong.

you need the kernel-package package installed to use make-kpkg.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/