Re: Netscape 6.0

on Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 04:14:40PM +0000, Ekkehard Kraemer (ekraemer@pluto.camelot.de) wrote:

> > > i have found its certainly more of a pig

> > i heared of skipstone and really really want to try it.
>
> I just installed Skipstone, and it looks good (suits me better than
> Galeon, at least). Apart from being leaner than Mozilla/Netscape (small
> wonder, it aims to do much less), it has the one single feature which
> made me pay for the Opera browser (on another well-loved OS whose name I
> will not mention here :-) ).
>
> The feature I mean is this: you can switch Skipstone to "tabbed" mode,
> and all browser windows are contained in one single "real" window (read:
> MDI mode). But it still gets better: if you open a link in a new window
> now, the new window is opened *behind* the current window. That is, you
> can open a list of links with just a few clicks, and don't need to
> constantly shuffle windows around. Nice feature for people who browse
> "breath-first", like me. Granted, it's only one click less then with
> other browsers, but it's still nice and definitively makes the desktop
> less cluttered.

Karsten's iron law of web browsers:  they all suck.

I'm playing with (objective statements follow):

  - NS 4.57:  still primary for graphics, though I curse it every time I
    load it and twice on crashes.

  - w3m:  secondary browser

  - lynx:  for unformatting overly designed websites -- sometimes
    straight text is just better

  - galeon:  it's better than Mozilla.  Lighter, fewer cruft features,
    but still heavy on my PII-180, unstable, and with a couple of
    annoying features.  Slimmed down, speeded up, and stabilized, it
    could be a favorite.

  - Skipstone:  also nice, see galeon.  There are a few feature
    tradeoffs, and it's not as lightweight as I'd like it to be.  A font
    scaler would be good.

  - Konqueror:  if and when KDE is stable on my box (rarely), it's
    actually pretty damned nice.  I wish to dog it were less dependent
    on KDE features, though.  Hello, world, we've just gone through a
    decade of showing what happens when you insist on complex
    interdependencies between software.  Learn your fucking lesson
    already.

  - Mozilla:  take out the fucking cruft.  'Nuf said.  The Mozilla team
    may (finally) be getting the message, but I've got my doubts.

  - Gzilla (aka armadillo):  Not even nearly there yet.

  - Gnome help browser:  all the interdependency issues of Konqueror w/o
    the charm.

  - StarOffice:  Nice browser, too bad about the ball and chain.
    Private memo to Sun StarDivision:  dis-integrate the fucking mess
    already.

Question for the crowd.  One of the few features of Netscape I
particularly care for is the ability to restrict font sizing range to a
small scope -- 80 - 120% rather than the 50-200% default.  Anyone know a
way to restrict the range of font sizing used by <font size=#> tags and
<h[1234567]> tags?

In Netscape, it's the following X resource:

    Netscape*documentFonts.sizeIncrement:   05

Default is 20.  This sets the font scaling step to 5% rather than 20%.

Clues?