Re: insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep

* Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> [251000 18:09]:
> tjm wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have had the same problem although it doesn't seem to
> > cause any adverse condition with the machine.

   The startup
> > script /etc/rcS.d/S20modutils (/etc/init.d/modutils) runs
> > depmod -a when the machine boots, but it seems that the
> > time stamp that results from the new modules.dep file
> > being made is incorrect.  It appears that the date is
> > ok but the time is not, making it appear the modules.dep
> > file may be older than modules.conf.  If I run depmod -a
> > after the machine is up and running, the time/date stamp on
> > the modules.dep file is correct.  Maybe the system time that
> > is used when the startup script is run is not correct until
> > later in the boot process, but I don't know enough of
> > this to make changes safely.  Try changing the time/date of
> > the modules.conf back a couple days by using 'touch' or
> > remaking the file (update-modules) after turning the system
> > time back temporarily to see if it makes a difference.  A
> > proper solution would be much nicer, though.
>
>   I tried that but the problem seems to be that the modules.conf is
> updated during boot process (looking and date/time of the file), and
> modules.dep is not (or is updated sooner)...
>
>   well, at least I see I am not alone... does this look like a bug? last
> time I checked there was no bug filed, but I have hard time to figure
> out which package the bug would be filed for...

 I've had the same problem as well...same effect (i.e. none)
 I am also running Debian 2.2 (Potato) with the 2.2.17.  I have also
 witnessed at least 1 person coming into #debian on IRC complaining about
 this problem

 In addition to the suggestions already put forth for fixing this error, I attempted to "fix" this error by recompiling my kernel and modules using make (not kernel-package) and clearing my /lib/modules/2.2.17 directory before issuing "make modules-install".

 That didn't really solve the problem and since there appeared to be no problems I gave up for the time being and figured I would look into the situation at a later time.

 Then, magically, the problem went away.  I stopped getting the error messages and everything seemed to work.  I filed it away, again, as a mystery I would explore later.

 Good to see that there seems to be a pattern out there, though.

rob jacobs