Re: insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep

Hello,

I have had the same problem although it doesn't seem to
cause any adverse condition with the machine.  The startup
script /etc/rcS.d/S20modutils (/etc/init.d/modutils) runs
depmod -a when the machine boots, but it seems that the
time stamp that results from the new modules.dep file
being made is incorrect.  It appears that the date is
ok but the time is not, making it appear the modules.dep
file may be older than modules.conf.  If I run depmod -a
after the machine is up and running, the time/date stamp on
the modules.dep file is correct.  Maybe the system time that
is used when the startup script is run is not correct until
later in the boot process, but I don't know enough of
this to make changes safely.  Try changing the time/date of
the modules.conf back a couple days by using 'touch' or
remaking the file (update-modules) after turning the system
time back temporarily to see if it makes a difference.  A
proper solution would be much nicer, though.

Using Debian potato with a 2.2.17 kernel.

> > > Oct 25 00:08:06 jojda insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent
> > > than /lib/m
> > > odules/2.2.17/modules.dep
> > >
> > >   is somewhat troubling me, I have fairly plain debian unstable install,
> > > why do I get the message?
> >
> > Do a 'depmod -a'
> > Phil
>
>   it does not help at all, the reason why modules.conf is newer is
> because some program always updates it during reboot but modules.dep is
> not updated...
>
>   does anybody else have the same problem? if not, how come I have this
> problem? I did not change startup scripts, everything is 'the debian
> way'
>
>         erik

thanks,
--