Sound on Diamond Sonic Impact

The SuSe DB states that the Sonic Impact should work with the OSS
module - in spite of the supported hardware HOWTO.

Sound refuses to work although adding user rland to group audio, in
fact the sound card output channel should make the boxes at least do
some noise as just tested on the other PC - it doesn't.

Does lsmod help tp clarify:
MINI:/home/rland# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nls_cp437               3904   1  (autoclean)
fbcon-cfb32             3464   0  (unused)
rtl8139                11520   1
videodev                2656   0  (unused)
sound                  57592   0  (unused)
soundlow                 416   0  [sound]
soundcore               2628   3  [sound]
ntfs                   34184   0  (unused)
smbfs                  23952   0  (unused)
vfat                    9008   0  (unused)
nfsd                  143460   0  (unused)
nfs                    28352   0  (unused)
lockd                  31112   1  [nfsd nfs]
sunrpc                 52420   1  [nfsd nfs lockd]
binfmt_misc             3148   0
autofs                  9088   0  (unused)
ide-floppy              8444   0
unix                   10212  33  (autoclean)

sound is indicated as 'unused' - unused by what, by the OS?
Dave Sherohman suggested to use gom -it or any other mixer. When do I
need a mixer (my aim is just wanting to here the CDROM playing)? A
have only little knowledge in this area too.

Gnome's "gmix" complaines about "no mixers found" and asks me if I had
compiled sound into the kernel.

Martin mailed me that /etc/modules.conf would be a optional config
file - however, which file does the kernel use to load a module when
booting up?

Last but not least - linux.aureal.com seems to be dead - sigh.
(SuSe recommendes to have a look at this site for various drivers)

A general question - do I have to cc my reply to the person helping
me?

Robert