Re: update-inetd problem

On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 09:26:57AM -0700, Dwight Johnson wrote:

> That's what I have always done on my Red Hat and SuSE installations. But
> on Debian 2.2, my inetd.conf file does not have a telnet entry to uncomment
> and the inetd.conf file begins with a commented caution to not change it
> except using 'update-inetd'.

    I think that program maintains comments in the file that are used for safe
upgrades at a later time. I'm not that concerned with it. When I upgrade, I'll
hack the file again. However, it's a great idea if you have to upgrade 100
machines and you don't want to edit each and every inetd.conf file.

> What does your inetd.conf telnet entry look like?

#telnet         stream  tcp     nowait  telnetd.telnetd /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd

    I have it turned off. ;-)

> I would have tried that too, but 'apt-get install ssh' is unable to find
> the package on my 2.2 CD set.

    It's in non-us on the ftp site.

http://www.debian.org/Packages/stable/non-us/ssh.html

    Try this:

echo "deb http://non-US.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib
non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update
apt-get install ssh

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX