Re: Article: Debian's Daunting Installation

	Subject: Re: Article: Debian's Daunting Installation
	Date: Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:42:13PM +0100

Quoting Glyn Millington(glyn@mill29.fsnet.co.uk):

> I'm just over a month into Debian and have hassled the list with
> lots of my configuration problems. That being said, the
> conversion from Mandrake to Debian was relatively painless and I
> actually preferred the very interactive Debian approach; and am
> slowly discovering that almost all the information I need to sort
> out my problems is sitting here inside my box.   RTFM remains
> some of the best advice around, though sometimes it helps to be
> told where TFM IS!

Don't know if you know about the apropos command or not, but it helps
in narrowing down the search.

apropos kernel

> What I need (not a complete newbie but not an expert by any
> means) is actually some help finding a path through the
> documentation; perhaps a list of the docs that would be most
> helpful to a beginner trying to, say, compile a kernel, or
> configure sound, sort out X or set up a small network.

The dwww, dhelp packages make a wealth of information easily available.
As far as the kernel goes, there is information in the Documentation
directory as well as a howto in
/usr/share/doc/en-txt/Kernel-HOWTO.txt.gz.

Note that the Howto's are _not_ Debian specific.  Therefore some
solutions might have to be changed to apply to your situation.
The howto and howto/mini directories have many helpful files.

Then after looking through all of the above, there is always
Debian User.

[Back to the original Topic]
Aptitude, which is still a work in progress, has replaced my use of
dselect, all together.  Now if Adam could just add a search
repeat function.....
Using aptitude and friends, has made, IMO, Debian the best distribution,
bar none.

Isn't Linux Great!   :-)

--
A printer consists of three main parts: the case, the jammed paper
tray and the blinking red light.