Re: Article: Debian's Daunting Installation

Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:

> So I had no problems. But if someone never saw his Linux-guru-friend
> writing the line "S3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x 3 ttyS3" into
> inittab to get the fax running, how can he ever configure it?

The Debian mgetty package does that for you, in the form of a comment,
which you can modify and uncomment.  That's at least a broad hint.

Whereas with the RedHat RPM, I had to figure it out on my own.

I've always found that the extras the Debian maintainers put into the
packages make it easier to get them running.

Granted, to some extent I'm comparing old RedHat and new Debian.  Guess
why.  ;-)